[nagdu] some advice

Chantel Cuddemi jawsgirl87 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 19:05:19 UTC 2011

Hanks Tamil

Email: jawsgirl87 at gmail.com

facebook: jawsgirl87 at gmail.com

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jawsgirl87

skype: leogirl48

msn: jawsgirl87 at gmail.com

aim: scholarmistress

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Tami Kinney
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:42 AM
To: nagdu at nfbnet.org
Subject: Re: [nagdu] some advice

Chantal,

That's a toughie. Do you have other options for a place to live? Is
there a possibility that your friend and her children may change their
minds and come to acceptance of your wish/need for a guide dog? I went
through several years of resistance from my now ex husband. Now he is my
ex husband, and I have a guide dog. /smile/ For me, I decided that
bringing a dog into a household that included him wouldn't work; also,
that my continuing to live in a household that included him when I was
losing my vision and he was showing such an astonishing degree of
selfishness and obstruction in the basics, wasn't for me, either. So it
wasn't about the dog, but his attitude on that subject and unwillingness
to deal with the cane even was certainly part of it. Had I brought a dog
in anyway, I am certain he would have caused trouble that would have
impacted the dog. So I waited until I could get out of the marriage to
go ahead with it. Sigh.

That's me. I have noticed that with many people, irrational fears or
attitudes about guide dogs are often a symptom of their attitudes toward
blindness and the problems go beyond the dog and the person may not
change their attitude because they are just so set on keeping it. For
me, I tend to figure who needs it? /smile/ I have also found from those
early years that those are also the people who will make it very
difficult to create other options for myself. So now I'm just kinda
hard-core about picking up those telltales and making my own decisions
accordingly. Again, that's me, and I don't know your friend or the full
depth and reasons for her concerns.

Wish I had something better to offer you. Others may have advice or
suggestions that are more applicable to your situation that you can use
to make the choice that will work best for you in your own
circumstances. And, of course, you know by now that you have plenty of
support and people who understand and hope only the best for you.

Cheers,

Tami

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/tamara.8024%40comcast.net