[nagdu] and... how do you get your dogs to stop barking?

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 11:45:35 UTC 2011

Barking can be very hard to break.  One thing that some people do with some
success is to take something like an empty soda can, partially fill it with
pennies or small rocks or something like that.  Tape the opening shut.  Then
when the dog barks, shake the can vigorously and say whatever word you want
the dog to associate with your command to be quiet.  of course, once the dog
is quiet, reward with praise and any other method you choose.  Personally, I
just yell and then try to redirect.  I'll distract my retired guide with
something, giving her kibble when I get her attention or giving her a toy.
You have to be careful it doesn't come across as a reward for barking
though.

Good luck.  Believe me, this one is pretty tough.  sometimes, me just
yelling, quiet and clapping my hands loudly gets her to stop.