[nagdu] Doors

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Sep 15 12:08:36 UTC 2011

Hi Natalie.
i described what I do in a previous message a while back, but I'll try again.
If the door hinges are on my right, I open it and work through.  If it
opens towards me, I put my foot between the door and the dog, if I can,
while opening it.
If the hinges are on my left, I reach across my body and hold the door
open and work through.

Sometimes, I ask Ben to switch to my right side, then open the door and
let him walk through first.  It's not as good as working him, but I can
tell through the leash if he's stopping or moving around something.
I work in New York City, and live in a fairly busy town in Jersey.  Most
of the doors I go through in public places are very likely to have other
people on the other side, or sometimes a cleaning cart or something in the
way.  I feel a lot safer working my dog through, so that's what I do.
Tracy