[nagdu] GDB's new methods

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 12:47:10 UTC 2011

I think your friend has the process a little confused.  Which is easy to do.
The way GDB does clicker training means it's the click and treat you reduce
over time and yes the treat as well, depending on your dog, of course.  You
use the click and treat while teaching your dog something such as finding a
light pole or bus stop or doorway, then once the dog knows it, you back off
on the click, then gradually back off ont he treat, if you want.  My current
guide hardly ever needs food rewards, and my retired guide got them for
almost everything.  I always have kibble in my pockets.  But remember, you
also always delete the amount from the daily meals for the dogs.  The whole
click and treat thing is so customizable depending on the handler's needs
and desires and the dog's needs and best way to motivate.  And I'm someone
who used to be strongly anti food reward when GDB first started using it,
but now I'm completely sold on it.