[nagdu] Concerns and Problems with TSA in NorfolkAirport

Matt Weihmuller saxmatt7 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 20:49:12 UTC 2011

Good afternoon everyone.  I appolygize for taking your time.  I have stated
previously that I do not wish to post on this list, unless it is absolutely
necessary.  However, I am posting on this list today in the hopes that my
unfortunate event I experienced at the TSA security checkpoint in the
Norfolk Airport will help to benefit and educate others that might have the
same unfortunate encounter.
This post was suppose to go out two weeks ago on Friday September 2nd,
however, for some reason it did not post and was returned to me.  I have
been  traveling
for the  last two weeks and have not been able to have access to my email
until today.  Below is a letter I have drafted to the TSA Federal Director
in
Norfolk.  I have not yet sent it, as I have been traveling and I hoped to
gather some comments and critiques from as many people as possible regarding
the matter.  I also was hoping to resolve the matter with the TSA manager of
the Norfolk Airport, Mr. Carson, as he was very graciously working with me
to review the video to confirm my accusations and take the propper steps to
ensure that it did not happen again.  However, the last contact I received
with Mr. Carson was the day I left on vacation.  He stated at that time that
he could only find one video of a person  with a service dog and the person
did not fit my description.  He was therefore, going to "go back to the
drawing board" to find the video of myself.  I have currently had no further
contact with Mr,. Carson since then.  If anyone has any suggestions on how I
can ensure that my concerns are heard in a very  curtius way, I would
greatly appreciate it.  Thanks again for all your time.  Here is the letter
below.  It reads as follows:

Dear Mr. Horowitz,

    My name is Matt Weihmuller.  I am writing you in regards to an
unfortunately humiliating and frustrating experience I had with my guidedog,
Daisy, the morning of Monday, August 29th, at the TSA Concourse A checkpoint
in the Norfolk, Virginia airport.  As usual, I showed my ID and passport,
and proceeded to remove all necessary belongings to ensure a quick and
efficient passage through the scanner and X-ray machine.  Before entering
the scanner, I informed the agent that I was traveling with my guidedog,
Daisy, and would "heel" the dog, having her sit and stay while I was
cleared.  I can only assume that I must have not been clear enough in my
communication as to my situation.  I am totally blind, and as such, without
my mobility tools, such as a guidedog, or cane, usually one of the TSA
agents assist me through the scanner by holding out a hand for me to grab
onto after I pass  through the scanner. This has come about as  a result of
my travel over the years, where I have been asked to leave my mobility tool
I.E. cane or dog behind while passing through the scanner and therefore,have
bumped into the sides of the machine, enjuring myself and lengthening the
security check process.    I appolygize for this lengthy explanation,
however, it was necessary, as this is what happened next. I proceeded to
attempt to travel through the scanner, hoping and expecting to grab the hand
of the agent on the other side to assist guiding me to a safe location, as
not to run into anything.  As I ran squarely into the side of the scanner,
the TSA agent stated, "Oh, sorry, you are blind, huh?". They then finally
concluded that I was in fact, blind and needed some assistance traveling
through the center of the scanner.  I then passed through a second time, not
setting anything off, and was then cleared.  I then commanded Daisy to
travel through the scanner.  She then proceeded, by herself, through the
scanner, and I grabbed her leash directly after she set off the alarm and
directed her toward the TSA agent to be patted down. The agent was very
polite and greeted Daisy, commenting on how much she licked.  We then
exchanged some casual remarks about what a good dog I have and that she
appeared to be ok.  The agent then began to express that both myself and
Daisy were clear, when a TSA  supervisor, Agent Margy Sunday came from what
I perceived to be out of nowhere, a nearby podium which was explained to me
later, and very abruptly ordered her subordinant agents to pat both of us
down.  I asked why and was immediately told that I had contact with the dog
while she passed through the scanner.  I stated that I did not have any
contact and. Agent Sunday stated that I did and promptly walked away.  I was
then grabbed by a man and told to hold tightly onto my  pants strongly.  I
showed him that I was wearing a belt, an item which I had on my person
during my cleared passage through the scanner, and stated that my pants
would not fall off during the pat-down process, a procedure which I was
neither properly prepared or notified about.  He then commanded me to  take
off my belt and promptly snatched it away from me.  He then patted me down,
taking his hands and placing them inside my pants, firmly patting down my
underwear  and all over my body.  I  should state that while this procedure
took place, at no time, was I allowed to have control of my guide dog, a
direct violation of TSA disability regulations.  After the pat-down
procedure, the first female agent, who was very polite and almost originally
cleared my dog and myself, stated that I was finally cleared to leave the
area. I stated that my belt had not been  returned to me.  It was then
finally explained to me, after several  minutes  that my belt had been put
back through the X-Ray machine, even though it did not alert the alarm the
first time I traveled  through the scanner.  I would have strongly
protested, however, by this time, I needed to go to the gate.  This long
procedure had caused me a  great deal of stress and time, and I felt very
strongly that at that time I needed to be somewhat rushed, or I would not
make it in time to board the aircraft.  Upon my safe arrival in Tampa, I
contacted the TSA Norfolk manager, Mr. Carson, who upon returning my phone
call, stated that Ms. Sunday has been with TSA since it's inception, and
that if she came from behind her poste, that I must have been in error.  I
explained the sequence of events as stated above, and was told that I must
have had some type of incidental contact with the dog after it passed
through the scanner, before it was cleared.  I stated that I did not, and
was told that I must have or else Agent Sunday would not have seen any
reason to come and given the order for the pat-down procedure.  I am
currently awaiting Mr. Carson's review of the Concourse A video to determine
if I did in fact have some sort of incidental contact with my guidedog.  I
would like to state that even if this is somehow true, at no time was I
informed by any TSA agent of my error.  Furthermore, at no time was I
informed of the consequences of my error or what would be done to me during
the pat-down procedure. I realize that this might normally seem
unnecessary, however, as I previously stated, I am totally blind.
Therefore, it was somewhat unnerving and terrifying, not knowing where I was
standing or exactly what was going to be done to me.  I realize this again
might not seem relevant.  Again, I ask you to imagine, being in a place
where you are standing in total darkness, while some person without your
predetermined knolodge, evasively probes your body.  The agents at the TSA
checkpoint should have been trained on this matter and should have taken
necessary action to state to myself what exact procedure was necessary for
both Daisy and I to passs correctly through the security checkpoint.
Furthermore, if such action is not taken, such training should be done to
properly notify myself and any other blind individuals of what the proper
procedure is should I not correctly pass through, I.E. what was involved in
the pat-down and what articles of clothing would need to be reexamined. The
TSA agents  didn't even realize that I was blind until I ran into the
scanner the first time.  I would like to point out that it is not there
responsibility to have such knolodge, but the responsibility of Agent Sunday
or her superiors to train those on what should be done should another
incident of this kind should occur in the future. It is very clear that
Agent Sunday has not had such training, nor did Mr. Carson, the TSA manager.
This greatly troubles me.  I am a well educated blind individual and
advoocate.  It frightens me what could happen should a person of lesser
independence experience the same situation.  I fear that the consequences of
such an incident could be severe.  I still have not been given any
reassurance that should I follow the proper procedure in the future, that
the same events will not occur to me again.  I recently attended a seminar
given by a TSA representative at the National Federation of the Blind
National Convention in Orlando this past July. I attempted to follow
guidelines given to me at the seminar and this incident still occurs.  To
date, no TSA agent, including Agent Sunday nor Mr. Carson has properly
explained me what I need to do to prevent this incident from happening
again.  Upon requesting such guidelines during my conversations with Mr.
Carson regarding the contact of service animals during scanning, I was told
that it is "SOP" and to explain such guidelines would compromise national
security.  It is again very clear to me that agents are not adequately
trained for these situations, and such a reeducation program is very
necessary.  I appolygize for taking your time, however, I wanted to inform
you of the situation in the hopes  that either myself or others who are not
as willing to come forward and advocate for themselves will not have to
experience what I had to go through in the future.  Thanks again for your
time.

    Sincerely,

    Matt Weihmuller

    MMP 2010