[nagdu] to the Pilot handlers

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 17 22:29:38 UTC 2011

Ah. Mitzi has that behavior, and she uses it when I need her to, and I
have no idea how she determines that. Sometimes, I use a hand signal
that I don't notice but that sort of came with the communication that
she should do that -- at doors, usually. So in regularly traveled routes
and ins and outs, I know what's going on, and it just happens. But she's
come to generalize the behavior, which I clearly haven't. So a couple of
times lately, it's confused me because we're in a new place so I'm not
expecting it... Or We're traveling more now with friends, so there's
chatting to be attended to. Or other guide dogs who may not be used tow
working with another guide dog around since school... /lol/ Anyway,
that's crazed, but it just occurred to me that adding a verbal command
like "switch" to the behavior might improve communications or just serve
to remind me what my dog is doing... Or let those around me know what my
dog is doing or about to do? Dunno. Mostly, yes, we just need more get
out and go outside of our very well-worn rut. /smile/ But I am finding
that for group travel, using the verbal commands makes things smoother
by letting the sighties and the random milling crowds right inside the
door know what you're doing. Also, it requires me to pay more attention,
because sometimes things still aren't as automatic for me in remembering
I'm blind... Especially when I'm more blind than I was just last
week. /lol/

Just thinkin loud, but I can see how that one could come in handy.
Thanks!

Tami