[nagdu] Preparing for training

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 15:35:51 UTC 2011

That's a new one for me, too. My imagination is currently having all
sorts of fun with that one... Not of it is serious. /lol/

Well, I guess since we're blind, we just don't see all those hordes of
boy scouts just hanging about ready to leap to the aid of people like
us! Is one to assume, then, that the girl scouts have better things to
do? /snide grin/

One thing I have noticed when it comes to any resource designed to
enable The Blind to have and use greater independence first involves the
recommendation to just get a sighted person for that. Often phrased as,
"You can just find someone to help you with that!" Thanks. Why get tools
to do it yourself when you just grab all those sighted people with
nothing better to do than read long lines of computer code to you. Or
drop by to set the microwave for you... /lol/ Okay, the microwave issue
was solved by dots, which I already knew... I was just asking if there
might be a better solution than that one... "Oh, you don't need to do
that," was the wondering reply, as if this were something absolutely
weird I had brought up for no reason. "You can just have somebody read
the buttons for you."

Okay, now I know about the boy scout solution, so that's a great way to
gain confidence and dignity and great independence. /snicker snort/

Good advice about the calve stretches and sneakers. I thought I moved
along just fine and fast with my trusty white cane. Then I started
letting my poodle lead the way to practice moving along at her speed...
Runner's stretches required! /smile/

Tami