[nagdu] balancing needs was Preparing for training

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Sep 24 15:32:41 UTC 2011

Bibi,

I don't know that I'd call it selfishness, but I get what you are
saying.  Yes, I do this all the time.  I have a guide dog to make my
life richer/fuller/easier.   I've been to national blindness conventions
with and without a guide dog.  In the case of Monty, it's better that he
not go, at least not at this time in his life.  He has difficulty
shifting to an off duty mindset when away from home.  As a result he
wears himself out after a few days.  I take him along to conferences and
things that last 2-4 days, much longer than that and it's better that he
stay with the dog sitter.  It helps a lot that he thinks the dog
sitter's is super fun times.  I don't feel any guilt over leaving him
there.  He has a good time and I do what I need to do.

In the last months of working Belle I found myself changing my plans and
routes to the point that my life was rearranged to her needs.  I'm okay
with that in the short term, like when a dog is sick or new and just
getting settled in.  However when there is no end in sight and I'm
leaving the dog more than I'm taking him, it's time to rethink things.
At that point it's not working out.

And of course there are times when the handler does some craptastic
thing and makes it so they can't work their guide. *smile*   Again as
long as it's temporary, I think it can be worked out.

I guess I don't look at it as selfishness, but more as doing what is
right by both team members.

JMO
Julie