[nagdu] Feeling guilty and selfish

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 24 18:13:26 UTC 2011

Bibi,

Yup! I have had those feelings. Sometimes those feelings are based on a
realization that that is what I have been doing. /shrug/ So I begin to
make an effort to do better and hope for the best. /smile/ Other times,
I feel that way because I've gone all soft on my sweet little poodle
buddy who is really just fine and wishes I would get over it so she can
get on with showing me how brilliant she is at doing her job. /grin/

Conventions are a real test, though. Well, I've only managed to make the
one national convention, when my pup was 2 years and 2 weeks... And we
were both completely over our heads! So then when I realized I needed to
slap some sense into myself and refocus on helping my dog first, I ended
up having a very different convention than I had planned (well, who
doesn't), but we had a lot of fun and met a lot of cool people and she
came through it okay, which I had really wondered about since I had been
so selfish stupid as to put her into that pressure cooker before she was
ready. Whew! I learned a lot of good tips from others, too, about how to
handle that special convention stress for a guide dog. /lol/ I also
learned about halfway through that the reason it seemed I had the only
poodle guide there was because I actually did have the only poodle guide
there. All the rest of the poodle guide users had left theirs at home
because the poodle temperament doesn't really do well in that kind of
setting. Oh. So there I was with a young overstressed poodle guide in a
red sport harness... So much for making all my mistakes without their
being noticed. How do I manage to do these things to myself? /lol/

In our busy human lives (or even not as busy as they should be human
lives), I find that the balance between her needs and mine can be tricky
to find. Other people manage to do it, so I keep trying. /smile/

Tami