[nagdu] Middle-aged Ben

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 25 14:17:06 UTC 2011

I thought I was the only one to get all sappy sometimes about Mitzi's
impending old age. /lol/It's one thing to be aware that your guides
prime years are few in human terms and that in time you will be walking
with a different guide. But for me, when that awareness floats across
the surface of my mind, the emotions and more irrational corollaries
seem, I dunno, overwrought. /smile/ I like to think of myself as having
some claim to sound mined and judgment.

I don't remember ever feeling the awareness or the emotions it brings so
strongly with my beloved pets, horses, whatever. And really, I Guess,
with Mitzi, it's the end of her career that cases the feelings of
trepidation and, well,whatever it is. Since she's my first guide, I
probably find that great unknown of her retirement and replacement with
some dog I've never even met yet scarier -- or at least more daunting --
than I might with my next guide. And the guide after that... I now know
plenty of people who have experienced the retirement of a guide and the
career of a new one, some of them multiple times. Clearly, they survived
to tell the tale. /smile/I can't imagine that that facet of guide dog
use every gets to be old hat, but it's not quite the end of the world
that I sometimes think it will be. /smile/

The up side to the awareness that this part of my life and Mitzi's won't
last forever does give me a greater appreciation for her, for our work
together, even as I go on with just taking things for granted. It
reminds me to just take a quick mind break to savor the wonders and to
be more patient with those little faults of hers that I have learned to
adapt to and also take for granted now. /smile/ At 5, she is who she is.
Some days, she's going to be annoyingly sniffy, so I just have to be
aware and deal with that, which is now habit for me. I get the
impression she takes my faults in much the same way. /lol/ So the
knowledge of future change and sadness makes me more in tune with the
joys. See? Now I"m getting sappy the other way. /lol/

Anyway, I'm glad to hear others sharing their similar thoughts and
feelings about that. I feel much better knowing I'm not quite as cracked
as I sometimes lead myself to believe I am. /grin/

Tami