[nagdu] church's

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Thu Apr 5 23:36:48 UTC 2012

Hi RJ,
Good luck in your studies in becoming a pastor.

If your neice wants to raise a guide dog puppy, she needs to apply through
4H or contact a guide dog school that is closest to her home.  she can't
just get a puppy and puppy raise it on her own.  Most of the schools will
NOT take adult dog donations and she will need guidance and support in the
actual raising of a puppy that can become a guide or service dog.

The 4H Clubs have been doing this in many parts of the couontry sinse WW2
when it was found out that raising pups in a kennel didn't work like raising
a pup in a home with people - the kind of life a guide dog will have after
training and placement with a blind person.

The puppy raisers usually work as a grooup where they socialize the puppy
and have a manual to work from.

The other important thing is that her family has to be in total agreemant to
doing this project.  It is an at least 18 month long project and the
commitment of the family has to be there.  I wish her well in this because
the puppy raisers are very important in shaping a potential guide dog.

Any puppy raisers on this list who would like to elaborate further?

Lyn and Landon