[nagdu] attending The Seeing Eye

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Thu Apr 12 20:09:26 UTC 2012

Seeing Eye - top notch!!!

I have been to a few other schools and find TSE's instructional staff very
good and attentive.  You'll have probably four classmates in your group with
your assigned instructor.

The lectures are very informative and I think you'll get the lectures on CD
so you can review after you get home.

The dorm is nice with everyone having their own room and bath.  Usually, if
you have your door shut, people assume you need your own space and people
respect that.  The domestic staff is very respectful and well trained.  They
undergo a time under blindfold so they can get an idea about blindness -
they don't move your stuff around on you when they clean your room.  The
lounges are nice with TV and player for movies.  I think there's WiFi in the
rooms now.  I was there in 2007 and there have been changes since I was
there.

There is a computer lab downstairs with the laundry room, the grooming room,
and the exercise room.  I found that sometimes the computers were screwed up
because of users that don't know what they're doing - no more than any other
place where you share computers with the public.  They have their rules and
that's fine.  Or you can bring your own laptop.  There's also Ham Radio
there as well if you do that.

Life at TSE while in training is like anywhere else you have strangers
coming to live together for a few weeks.  If all conduct themselves in a
civilized adult manner, it can be pleasant.  RESPECT is the name of the game
there!  I like that we are treated like the mature adults that we are at
TSE.  I cannot say I experienced that at other schools I've gone to so I
will always return to TSE as long as I can work guide dogs.

Good luck in your training there and have fun.  Oh, I almost forgot - the
Leisure Path!  You'll like that to walk in when you have down time.  there's
a lovely gazebo where you can sit and enjoy the nice weather.

Who are your instructors on your class?

Lyn and Landon