[nagdu] Just catching up / Tipton's on going training

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 14 02:25:50 UTC 2012

Mardi,

Heavens! Sounds like you have some interesting times in store. /lol/ As
Zay nears the age Mitzi was when we first met, I can't help remembering
her as a wild, young mustang poodle. Oh, my heavens! Also a constant
motion machine with an inexhaustible power supply. However she ever
indeed up turning into a guide dog, I can't imagine. /lol/ She's still
pretty energetic for sure, but at least she naps now and then. Whew!

We had our 6-month-old ;puppy Zay spayed Monday... Hate to dash your
hopes for mellowness afterwards, but... Nope! Keeping her quite (ish)
and toned down while the stitches finish doing their work is, um,
well... Let's just say I'm considering swearing off dogs altogether and
getting myself a pretty fish. Teehee.

Sorry you have to put up with such rude dogs around. And good on Shaman
for being such a patient professional! We've had more trouble with
little dogs than any other kind, although it's not been frequent. Still!
What an annoyance, and you can never know if they're going to injure
your dog with their sharp little teeth. The owners, now that I think
about it it, are pretty lackadaisical, just dragging their little demons
off... My current working theory is that because the dogs are so small,
the people don't think they need all that much training. Or something
like that. Which is not to say I don't know some really great
well-trained small dogs.

Our juvenile behemoth is going to a challenge, I expect, for the next 6
months or more. She's a sweetie, but a large and powerful one, it seems.
She has discovered the notion that no silly human is going to be the
boss of her, so I've been informing her otherwise. /lol/ She's so big, I
had to get a head collar for her. One that closes in the back after she
bit through one of Mitzi's old Halti's, Mitzi's spare GL, Mitzi's
working GL... Now I've been taking them both on leash walks around the
neighborhood here in the small town where we are visiting my Dad. And
where we are likely to be moving in a couple of months. Again, with the
swearing off of dogs! They're doing better, actually, but two dogs and
one cane can get a trying combination after a while. The plan is to
eventually have Mitzi guide while I walk Zay on leash... Clearly, I have
lost my mind to think that is somehow a good idea. /grin/

Hang in there, and best with your chewing banshee!

Tami

Tami