[nagdu] What a dellema

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Apr 15 19:03:45 UTC 2012

Have the woman with the other dog bring that dog over to meet Brooks.  Have
them meet off your property - sidewalk or street - and have them meet on
leash.  That way, there's no territory issues on the part of Brooks or the
other dog.

AS for the first family who expressed interest, let them know that you are
also interviewing another prospective adopter and set a date when you will
make your final decision.  From what you are saying about the experience
with the first family and what you said about your reservations about the
second family, check them out anyway.

Find out what exactly the dog would be doing as a therapy dog.  This varies
alot.  Brooks could be used in a program that visits seniors, she could be
brought into schools to visit kids, maybe be a part of a program where kids
read to dogs aloud so they get more confident in their reading skills.  The
lady could be a therapist and have the dog in her office to interact with
her clients.  You know Brooks the best.  How has she reacted with meeting
people she doesn't know?  Is she comfortable in going to multiple types of
places?  Is she comfortable no matter where you bring her?  You will know
this.  Many career-change guide dogs have done very well doing other jobs.

I remember hearing about a dog back in the 1990s that was a Fidelco dog.  He
made a horrible guide dog so the Connecticut State Police took him.  They
trained him to be a cadaver dog - finds dead human bodies.  This dog
excelled and thrived in this work and became one of the best cadaver dogs
they ever had.  That dog found bodies other dogs missed!

I had heard of a few from GDA that failed as guides and excelled as another
kind of service dog for a disabled person.  You never know.

After meeting and evaluating each family, make your decision.  If the people
really care that you make the best placement for Brooks, they will
understand that you don't want to make your choice by the seat of your
pants.  As a volunteer at our Humane Society, I know that they interview
each person who comes to adopt an animal.  You don't go home the same day
you fill out the application.  The goal is rehoming in a "forever home" that
will work - we don't want the animal back because the adopter didn't know
what they were getting into.

Go with your gut!!!!!  VERY IMPORTANT!  Pray about it, Let Brooks pick her
family.

Lyn and Landon