[nagdu] walking in to objects

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 15 19:21:20 UTC 2012

Cindy,

I agree. By intervening, it seems to me that the trainer is doing more
to enable the problem to continue than to see what is happening with
Princess and Hannah in order to come up with better ideas of how to fix
it. Also, by taking over the dog's responsibility, she can easily pick
up the notion that she isn't responsible for right side clearance anymore.

A few years back, when we were shopping for travel trailers, I ran into
that with Wayne and the salesman... While they were strolling and
talking trailers, I wanted to use the time to get Mitzi out for some
walking time at poodle speed and to do some distraction work. She had,
in one lot, seen kitties under trailers. Kitties are her ultimate
downfall. She loves them too, too much! /lol/ So i needed to work on the
distraction issue in settings where she was distracted by looking for
kitties under trailers. This was a problem especially when we were
walking in front of fifth-wheels, since the bottom of the overhang was
just right to hit my forehead on! So that had to be worked on, too.
Only... No matter how many times I yelled at those two not to warn me of
impending concussion, guess what? I got pretty snarly with both of them,
and with the poodle , too. After all, she seemed to figure, if those
guys were watching out for my head, why shouldn't she just watch out for
kitties?

Anyway, we eventually got it worked out and I got the poodle back in
line. Re-working overheads is not my favorite activity, since I have to
figure out a way to "run into" the overhead and make a fuss to get the
point across. Without actually whanging my forehead on it! A billed cap
is helpful, or holding something in front of me at head height that will
make a loud noise. The overhangs in this case were fiberglass and not
that impressive for sound effects. /lol/

I can't remember now what it was that finally convinced Mitzi to do her
stinkin' job, but it may have been that she got bored with my stopping
dead and making all those strangling noises before I turned around and
ended up yelling crankily at the fellas. All that disruption cramped her
style, no doubt. /lol/ Anyway, she suddenly started working just fine
there, so I was a happy camper. /smile/ Also, I think I finally just
ducked away and sped off from the guys so they couldn't interfere. Once
Mitzi was on her own, and I angrily banged a fiberglass obstacle with my
fist a couple of times, making angry, strangling noises before I sighed
bitterly and made her do it again, then again she decided to be a guide
dog and not a huntress of kitties!

Tami