[nagdu] walking in to objects

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 19 23:13:32 UTC 2012

Hi Hana:

When I was training with Bogart, a poodle, we had a couple of situations where he ran me into things. Partly it was because his trainer was quite a bit smaller than me. Bogart had to learn my clearance. Wehn we were home there were a couple of things he misjudged. One was the corner of a bus top bench (right in the knee, ouch!). Another was a tap jutting out from a building. When it is raining Bogart likes to hug buildings to try to avoid getting us wet. That one would have been hard to see but we did rework it once. I'm trying to honestly think if he does other things. There is the odd brushing of things but I equate  that mostly to me not following as well as  I should.

People are his issue. giving clearnace or, if we're behind  someone he will go up behind them and get me too close before he pulls out to pass which can have me stepping on them. Very embarrassing and if it is my girlfriend dangerous to my health. :)

Certainly call them. There is nothing better than talking to a person where they can hear how you feel. I had just called my school to see if my idea of dealing with bogart's habit of mounting dogs in  off leash dog parks was suitable. It is really embarassing when he does this and other people get annoyed. People think it is a sexual thing when I'm pretty sure it is just a dominant thing. Not good either. Of course, it's usually macho guys with their macho type of dogs that allow this to happen.

Good luck
Gary