[nagdu] GDF and NAGDU conventions

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Sun Apr 22 22:40:52 UTC 2012

Julie,

Let me give you a little more info on the exhibiting factors that lead to
GDF decisions anyway regarding conventions.

We have not had a booth at the ACB convention for many years. The primary
reason is that their exhibit hall hours are much longer over a longer span
of time than at NFB and we simply do not have the staff to man a booth and
take part in the activities of the guide dog affiliate, GDUI, which demand
volunteers from te schools to help with various events.

I'm the GDUI Program Chair this year so I can say things about them. <grin>

We do, however, hope to have a booth at the NFB convention even though the
cost is more, primarily because we like how the exhibit hall is organized
and run and that this is an audience we have been neglecting for some time.
As you see from my earlier note, that's paid off in the number of people
referred to us through NFB and NAGDU.

I personally like the dedicated exhibit hall times at NFB as it gives me
time to attend the NAGDU functions without having to worry about a booth and
as I'm the one responsible for said booth, that matters a lot. <grin>

The ACB exhibit hall is very crowded all week, which is fine but again, we
find that we reach more people by walking around, talking to people, helping
them with various things around the hotel, etc.

We also have found fewer graduates attending ACB conventions, especially
when held in western states. Some day this balance may swing again, but I
really think that having different strategies for each type of convention,
even the state ones, is important. As long as people know how and where to
find us, That's what really matters.

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeninems