[nagdu] Wanting to Chase all moving animals, especially small ones...

Nicole B. Torcolini at Home ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Mon Apr 23 18:26:05 UTC 2012

Hannah,

    Okay, this is kind of a long message, so sorry if it gets a little
confusing. Also, sorry if I seem to repeat things that others have already
said; however, I think that I do have a little different information.
    First, regarding a gentle leader or a halti, you might give it a try,
but I do not know if it is the best option. As already stated, you cannot
give a hard correction. When I was at GDB several years ago, they said that
it worked for redirecting attention, but it does not really solve the
problem in that the dog never really learns. If you do decide to use one, my
personal recommendation would to get training on how to use it.
    Second, I am curious about how Princess behaves overall. Are there times
where her guide work is good? How does she respond to you when not working?
When off leash? I am wondering if working on other types of obedience and
team work may help the situation. When she is looking at something, does she
respond to anything? What happens if you tell her to sit or something? Or
does she just completely block out all forms of communication?
    Finally, what about using food to try to help the situation? You could
try to use it to draw her attention away from whatever it is that she is
looking at. Also, you could use it as a reward when she does stop.
    I hope that you find a solution soon.

Best,
Nicole