[nagdu] Wanting to Chase all moving animals, especially small ones...

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 23 22:47:15 UTC 2012

Larry,

That's pretty much the same thing I do with my poodle nut. Well, she
grew out of frequent extreme distraction frenzies... Though she still
has a few saved up for special occasions.

But pretty much what I do is plant my feet and stand with my attention
elsewhere until she settles down and gets bored enough to let me know
she would like to go forward and get back to work. Depending on how
snotty and rowdy she has been, I will wait a few beats, still giving her
no attention, just to help her remember who actually mades the decision
in this team. /smile/ But for the most part, now, I can simply give the
forward command quickly and off we go. Then I look at her and smile and
praise or click.

Actually, I seem to have a "leave it! Forward!" command that is separate
from just leave it or just forward. It's mostly for sniffing but also
for more exciting distractions... Usually it works to get her refocused
and going when I first feel her starting to react to a kitty or some
such. Puppy Zay is learning that one now, too, around this neighborhood.
/smile/

I think one reason I have really come to like the GL -- or the slightly
different headgear I have for Zay for her different construction -- is
that it is self-correcting while enabling me to keep control. I could
not believe how strong my seemingly featherweight poodle pup was when
she would get a yen to pull against her collar. Also, I learned that
poodles will do that and pull so hard they damage their tracheas. So I
would walk her in a walking harness or a GL. I still do, just in case.
Also, when she would get psycho distracted in harness, if she was
pulling and yanking too much on the harness handle while I was standing
ther planted, I could just drop the handle and let her run herself into
the nosepiece of the GL... Then it was up to her to decide if she wanted
to do that again. Me? I was just standing there! /lol/ Stubborn little
cuss would really go rodeo at times, a bucking and rearing wild
stallion! But it didn't pay for her to keep doing that, and all I was
doing was standing around with my attention on something else, so... She
would eventually decide that what she really wanted to do was to get on
with a nice civilized walk or working errand. /lol/

Funny, adapting to our good old-fashioned mutt from poodle... Zay is
really responsive and shows some brains, and she is learning a lot of
good habits from Mitzi on our double dog walks. But she needs a bit more
firmness in correction than Mitzi, for whom finesse is the only way to
go... When I have the two fo them together, I have to use different
leashes so I don't accidentally offend Mitzi by treating her like a
common cur. Or let Zay get too far out of bounds by giving her light
voice reminders and only a pinky twitch on the leash... Well, Zay is
coming along nicely, so I can now get through most of a double dog walk
without too many exotic threats upon the persons of both of them... /lol/

Tami