[nagdu] Fearful o snppy dgs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Apr 24 14:31:45 UTC 2012

A friend's dog was attacked by another dog, and became fearful and snappy
around other dogs.  My friend worked for a while, trying to resolve the
problem, but eventually had to retire the dog.  Having a snappy dog didn't
make her a bad handler who should be banned for life.  It was an unlucky
chance that could happen to any of us.

My Echo was attacked by a dog, and also became fearful of strange dogs.
She doesn't have a snappy bone in her body, but she didn't really want
strange dogs near her.  Time and again at guide dog meetings, I'd ask the
people near me to please keep their dogs close to them and out of Echo's
space, because she was afraid of other dogs.  Ten minutes later, someone
else's dog would be sprawled all over my feet and in Echo's face, 2 or 3
feet from its owner, and I'd have to ask the person to pull it back.  It
happened again and again, too.  It was very annoying.  To me, it seems
only courteous to keep my dog close to me, and doubly so if someone has
particularly asked me to do it.
Tracy