[nagdu] Dog Halters WAS Re: Wanting to Chase all moving animals, especially small ones...

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 24 17:52:00 UTC 2012

Lisa,

Yeah, I always think of that when talking about the GL type collars. For
someone trained to use hard leash corrections, it's super important that
they know to never, ever do that with a halter type head gear. I always
remind DD of that when he is leading his Zay with the GL or her own
headgear, which is ultra inconvenient to put on. /lol/ Actually, with
that one, because it is designed to pull from the back of the head
instead of the side, I've had to figure out how to use it effectively...
Puppy is a sweetie, and still young enough to just be experimenting with
stubborn rebellion, but she is very powerful and weighs as much as Mitzi
already. I keep threatening to career change her to cart pony. /lol/
Still, I can do a little negative correction to remind her about the
leash manners she is learning. Of course, after Mitzi, who responds
better to finesse, it seems like I'm just being really mean pitting a
fraction of my pitiful strength in a leash correction. /lol/ Did I train
Mitzi, or did she train me? Sometimes I wonder.

Anyway, good warning. The GL type head collars look a lot nicer than the
evil prong collar, but... You can seriously do your dog neck and spine
damage, which is not very nice at all! But the self-correcting facet of
using one is very nice, actually. And the communication with the nose
with your guide is *very* nice. At least with mine with her long
pointing nose and Stretch Armstrong neck. /lol/ She knows to mind her
manners and where the boundaries are, but... She is still a dog and we
still go into restaurants or past the bakery aisle... /grin/

Tami