[nagdu] How would you respond?

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Tue Apr 24 21:17:19 UTC 2012

Interesting, this discussion about a guide dog attacking another.  Yeah, it
happens.

I had to have a dog change while at school four days into the program
because the dog I got started to attack the other dogs - and in front of the
trainers!  There was no provocation whatsoever that the trainer could see.
Then I was told that the dog attacked another returning pup in the car when
they were bringing her in to train as a guide.  They thought they resolved
the problem but they didn't.  I was issued another dog and the other dog was
retired from the program and placed in a pet home without any other dogs.
So, sometimes we don't know the cause.

I did know another guide dog that did try to attack other guide dogs if we
got too close to the team.  I did hear that sometimes dogs develope anxiety
and extreme discomfort in being approached by another dog while it is in
harness and leash.  the dog feels volnerable and feels unsafe and wants to
defend itself - a kind of "I'll hurt you before you can hurt me" type of
thing.  Off leash, that same dog would play with other dogs.

I have seen these kinds of things over my long time involvement around guide
dogs and handlers. You see all types.  Sometimes it has to do with a
handler's bad skills and sometimes not - it can be a problem with the dog.
What matters is that the issue is resolved in some way before someone gets
hurt - dog or human.

I think people are reacting as they are on this issue because, frankly, it
scares the crap out of you when you're walking peacefully down the street or
are in a place of business and all of a sudden a loud growl, snarls, vicious
barking and and attacking dog on top of yours.  I've been there.  I do get
nervoous when I have to pass a strange dog that is within biting distance
from me.

Lyn and Landon