[nagdu] The third time is a charm

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 27 02:05:57 UTC 2012

Dar,

I do plan to owner-train again. I'm hooked! Or is that stark raving mad?
/grin/ DD's new puppy -- now over 6 months old! -- is a nice practice
train, but it isn't really time to get serious about Mitzi's
replacement. I'm figuring that, unless something changes, I will be
getting proactive about getting a pup when she is between 7 and 8. Which
will be about the time the mutt monster is grown up enough to not be a
total PITA. /lol/ Clearly, I am a sucker for punishment. I do have a
line through my vet niece on some dobies she sees in her practice. She
was describing a current litter and a fantastic prospect, but... That
mother is no longer breeding. She will be seeing the pups from the new
breeding bitch, so will keep me posted. /smile/ She sees other dobies
and spends enough time with them to evaluate them, so that is handy. But
even if I do get another young puppy, it won't be for a couple of years.

Puppy Zay has a terrific temperament, hitting all the high spots for a
guide prospect. Except that her size might be a bit much for someone my
size... Then again, current rule of thumb estimates put her at about
Monty's size full grown, and Julie's not that much taller than me.

So I will probably consider whether to go ahead and finish Zay in a year
or two. At this point "guide dog training" is what I would train any dog
to do, with added this or that in leash manners for safety for both of
us. DD has not gotten hooked on walking his pup, and I love walking the
dogs... I will love it better when we all get the hang of letting Mitzi
guide while the pup tags along. So for our safety and stuff, and because
Mitzi is along to show her how it's done, she's picking up the
directional commands and some other handy commands for leash work that
transfer to guide work. Leave it, stuff like that. It's all baby steps
but she catches on fast and is getting mature enough we can add
advancements surprisingly quickly. But nothing complicated beyond that.
I would not start honest-to-goodness guide training until 12 months or
later, depending on how she was coming along in maturity and physical
growth.

Ask a simple question, eh? That's where I'm at in the decision making
process. My general plan is to start pup hunting in a couple of years,
tending toward dobie or poodle again... If I go poodle, I will look
first with Mitzi's breeder, naturally. /smile/

Is it spring in Montana yet?

Tami