[nagdu] getting along with other guide dogs

Lisa belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Fri Apr 27 14:45:33 UTC 2012

Julie it just depends on the circumstances and the dogs.

Katy hasn't had nearly the opportunity to socialize with other guide dogs
because there just aren't that many around here.  The last time I was at the
GDF, she did Okay once she got the initial Oooooh Another Dogg! excitement
out of her system.

I think there are some times when its better to know ahead of time how the
dogs will react, like if you're in a room mate situation and the option to
leave isn't as easy as you'd like it to be.

Generally I like to have the dogs meet each other first just to give them a
chance to get the sniffing out of the way.  But if that isn't possible, then
I treat the working dog as I would a potential regular dog distraction.

I like to keep Katy close to me no matter what, so if we're someplace and
she's doing the army crawl in any direction I quickly try to contain her.

When life gives you lemons, throw them at something.  Always makes me feel
better.
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217 at frontier.com