[nagdu] Transition to a new guide

Steven Johnson blinddog3 at charter.net
Sat Apr 28 19:59:38 UTC 2012

Hi Marsha,

I will certainly do that.  It is a bittersweet time during this transition
like so many of us have gone through.  Unfortunately, the circumstances that
caused Misha's retirement were most unfortunate and who would have ever
thought a tornado would have even hit this small community in Western
Wisconsin.  However, she was my first priority, and now that all seems to
have really fallen place nicely, it is time to concentrate on the new guide.
I will be busting hump as I will be in an accelerated class and essentially
be there for 11 training days as I leave tomorrow and return on the 12th.
Basically, it is a home and away training which really fit my work schedule
perfectly.  Of course, a home follow-up will be scheduled after I return
which again, is perfect.
Now, I would bet some would like to know why I chose Leader Dog?  Well, it
was the school that most impressed me at the time.  I knew of a number of
other guide dog handlers from different training programs and after not only
talking with them, and looking at information on the programs, it was the
school that seemed to best fit me.  Since that time, now 20 years ago,
things have changed so much.  Yes, Leader does not grant ownership upon
graduation, but this is not my first concern as a handler as is the support,
the matching process, the home-like feeling of the training facility and so
much more.  This, is like I said, the 20th year when I was matched with my
first guide dog, and in that time, have worked 3 dogs now ready for #4.  The
other end of the reason I have continued to support Leader Dog, is that it
is directly connected with the Lion's and in fact, was founded by 3 Lion
members back in 1938 and became a formal training program in 1939.  I myself
am a very active Lion and travel throughout our State's district to present
on Leader Dog and help fellow-Lion's understand how their club donations
work and what they are truly supporting.  I have had incredible support from
both Leader Dog and the Lions' over the past 20 years and again am very
proud to have my new guide sponsored by my own club, the La Crosse Lion's.
Through these involvements, I feel that I am a good ambassador for both
Leader Dog and the Lion's while at the same time, continue to be a good role
model for my guide peers...no matter what training program they choose.
Find what works for you, and if it fits comfortably, wear it, and wear it
proudly.

More to come on issue-day, Tuesday:)

Steve