[nagdu] Question about crossing streets - hope this is guide dog related

Sheila Leigland sleigland at bresnan.net
Sat Apr 28 23:10:33 UTC 2012

Hi there
When I lost quite a bit of my hearing one of the first things that I did was call a mobility instructor and I went out whit her because I was being told that I should never be allowed to go out alone with my cane or my dog. I was concerned about being made a prisoner in my own home. Psychologically it was good for me to realize that I could still hear and judge traffic appropriately. When my hearing aides came we went out again because everything seemed so noisy that it was scary for me until I made the adjustment. I did use my dog but that part of it wouldn't have mattered whether I was using my dog or my cane. We are all different and independence is knowing what can and will work for us and being able to get the assistance we need to do the things we need to do as people in this world.