[nagdu] Pumpkin dog treaks and dog dreams

Robert Hooper hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Mon Apr 30 19:13:23 UTC 2012

Hello:

Bailey rarely runs or barks in his sleep, but I have woken up in the middle of the night with those oddly muted, far off yips ringing in my ears. Because I was tangled in my covers, I decided, in my bleary, half-awake state, to roll out of bed on top of him. This resulted in a startled puppy and a fully awake master, brought to not by the warm, yet coarse fur of a sleeping shepherd, but by the cold hard reality of a cold hard floor.
On one other occasion, I was reading on the couch and the dog was across the room, sleeping on his bed. His sleep noises disturbed the alternate reality constructed by my all-too-vivid imagination, ironically dissolving the half dream state induced by the indescribable pleasures of a good yarn. I fumbled on the couch next to me, coming upon the TV remote and discarding it. My fingers happened upon a pillow, which I promptly chucked at the dog. The dreaming ceased, but Bailey wasn't too slow to recognize the opportunity which had been quite literally thrown at him. When later I went to retrieve my weapon, I found it firmly held to the ground by a big, furry shepherd head and a paw. His look was all too smug as I cursed him lovingly and tugged the pillow from beneath his grinning snout.
I haven't yet been unlucky enough to have him in the throes of a rabbit-chasing dream in class, but he's come close--his paws were twitching madly and he was breathing heavily. Foreseeing this potential embarrassment, I subtly nudged him with my shoe and the disaster was averted.

Robert Hooper
Hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
The Ohio State University
0653 Buckeye-Cuyahoga CT