[nagdu] Guide Dogs And VA Facilities--what?!

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Thu Aug 9 14:02:44 UTC 2012

I think the issue isn't whether owner-trained dogs in general are better or
worse behaved than program trained teams. I think the issue is that more
people are choosing to be accompanied by their dogs and correctly or not,
identifying the dogs as service animals without taking into account the
responsible training that needs to be the background of any working dog's
life.

The owner-trainers I know on line have put a lot of thought and effort into
their work. Those whom I've met at conferences are very conscientious. In
the general public though, I see more people who think that because their
dogs can do one thing to help them, they are well trained service animals
when that may not be the case.

I really don't think we'd be hearing so much about poorly behaved dogs if
all of the current influx of dogs, both program and owner-trained, were well
behaved and actually doing tasks for their handlers.

Remember too that many programs have sprung up in the past 5 years
especially to serve veterans with trained dogs. Some of these programs
literally send a dog to a veteran with no actual training for the human part
of the team other than an instruction manual. We all know how important that
knowledge is for the handler as well as the dog.

Just my thoughts.

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeninems