[nagdu] Book review: Meet My Girls

Vanessa Lowery vlowery at dhr.state.md.us
Fri Aug 10 14:01:31 UTC 2012

What format?  Is it available from NLS?

Vanessa Lowery, LGSW
Adult and Community Services Division
Adult Services Screening Unit
410-853-3550
VLowery at dhr.state.md.us

>>> "Tracy Carcione" <carcione at access.net> 8/10/2012 9:45 AM >>>
I have been reading Meet My Girls ... by Grace Napier, which I got from
the NLS BARD website. It's about the ten Seeing Eye dogs she's had over
the past 69 years.
It's written for children, so sometimes it's slow and simple, but it's
interesting to read about her experiences with her dogs. Her first 4 dogs
were boxers.  TSE used to have a relationship with a show boxer breeder,
and she donated the dogs she didn't want to show to TSE, so anyone could
get one.
She was an itinerant teacher in south Jersey during the late '40's or
early '50's.  I think, if I were an itinerant teacher, I'd try to get a
driver just to save time, but she did not.  She went all over, walking and
taking buses and trains.  No car-to-door for her dogs!  And of course ages
before GPS.  Even in her 80's, she was walking all over her town.  And she
talks sadly about the upcoming day when she will retire her last dog and
not get another.
I enjoyed the book, despite the slow or teacherish bits.
Tracy

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/vlowery%40dhr.state.md.us

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged and/or confidential. This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an
intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.