[nagdu] new guide dog user with questions

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 14:12:30 UTC 2012

Mona,

Welcome to the list! I hope you like it here.

As far as your questions goes, ask away, give us as many as you need to ask. That is what this list is for. your going to get a lot of answers, so I hope that you can find them all helpful.

For question one, I don't think you checking the curb is going to ruin your pup. I have heard of schools training for country streets like that, to check for the curb, or the edge of the road. But I haven't been to the seeing eye since 2008, and things might be different. Your not going to ruin him, use whatever tools you need to orientate yourself to the enviroment.

For question two, you were completely right in what you did with your friend. our friends, and family do not go to training with us. They are not versed in how a guide is trained. If her behavior changes, that is her doing. The public see us with our dog, our dogs as a dog, not as a highly trained animal, who has been given the job of guiding us. I know when I have been out, and have given my dog a correction, and then someone says something about it. I will say something to the fact is that my pup iss being naughty, not doing what it should, in regards to it job of guiding me. Of course that is me too.

For question three, its been a long time since I had little ones and a guide. It is good in a way for your pup to get attached to your child. But your pup also should know that your boss, that you feed, groom, and take care of the pup. I would say in harness, when your child is around, they should not have much interaction. but out of harness, they can play. others on the list might have better ways of dealing with this.

Just so you know who I am. I'm Marsha, currently inbetween pups. I'll be going to GDF hopefully in september. My last pup was from TSE. Emma is a GSD, 6 1/2 years old. She was retired due to stress and health issues. We liive in Philadelphia PA. I am a full time student at Temple University, and am the mother to three teenagers.

One last thing, and I will close my very long post. I am the moderator of the list. So if you need anything please let me know: marsha.drenth at gmail.com

Marsha drenthSent from my iPhone