[nagdu] new guide dog user with questions

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 14 00:40:57 UTC 2012

Hi, Mona,
I had some trouble with trusting my guides, especially when it came to the first and second ones.
However when Odie and I returned home from training, we experienced a close call that I'd never forget.
Odie was almost killed on the line of duty, but saved my life and gave me another chance.
He definitely proved to be a keeper and I slowly began to trust him more.
Yes, I always like to stop and do curb checking with my feet too, but will only do it once I am out of the street.
As for your friend, he/she is just going to have to learn that there are times for corrections to come into play when they are warranted.
If they can't understand that you are doing what is right and how you were trained, perhaps they need to visit a guide dog school and observe the training for themselves.
My advice is just ignore what your friend says, whines or complains about and stick to building up that trust with your partner.
People don't like how I deal with Odie, but oh well.
It's their problem and not mine.
Biggest thing I try to remember the most is give my partner lots of love and praise.
He enjoys that and feels that it is a reward.
Bibi