[nagdu] update from here

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 17 00:33:56 UTC 2012

Hi, all,
Sorry you'alls, but really need to vent.
Figured I'd update from here in Denver, Colorado.
Odie has not had anymore accidents since the heating/air conditioning unit was fixed.
Yeyyeyyeyyeyyeyyeyyeyyeyyeyyey!!!
However due to some new wild fires in Washington State, California and Montana, we've had all the smoke, ash and other particals launched all the way into Colorado, which has caused Dale, Odie and I to feel awful along with many others.
While all of this is happening, neither of us are trying to venture outtdoors unless we really need to.
My approval for my power wheelchair went through, so shall be expecting it to arrive around the end/beginning of August.
Although I have posted that part to four non guide dog related list I didn't feel it was necessary for guide dog related lists.
Well...
To make it guide dog related, I have spoken with an admissions field representative at GDB as I was curious about the wheelchair guide dog training program.
I did learn some valuable information that in order to have a wheelchair trained guide dog, a person would have to be in their chair 75% of the time.
Since I will not be wheelchair bound on a daily basis, I had to consider my decision carefully, letting the   rep from GDB know that if I tried filling out the paperwork to apply, it would not have been necessary, for I would have wasted a large amount of time and cost unless I truely was in need.
Thankfully, I'm glad I didn't fill out the paperwork, but do know that I can contact them again in the future.
Yes, Odie will need time to be able to adjust seeing me roll around on wheels in a power chair, that's for sure.
Odie and I ventured out to Denver Health Medical today where I did see my nuerologist for follow up and informed him that my seizure condition is spiraling out of hand.
I did let him know that Odie stared at me straight in the face with a serious look, sensing something was going to happen that I needed to be lying down on the floor.
Doctor Maa was impressed and let me know that I do have a great, caring partner.
I then went over to another building on the campus grounds to pick up Dale's meds before going upstairs to see if I could schedule a follow up appointment with my primary doctor.
His schedule was completely filled for the next month, but luck was on my side today.
I was able to get in to see Doctor Jeremy long for follow up and express my concerns and frustration of how my seizure disorder has really impacted me.
So, it's back to square one again and being admitted to the hospital on October 8, 2012 for another seizure study.
Truth is I guess reasoning for my frustration is I'd love to train with another guide dog, but feel that I really need to get a handle on my seizures first before even going that route.
I'd rather not have the next partner be traumatized suddenly to where guide dog career would have to be cut short.
That's what has been holding me back most of all, wanting another guide, but having to think about my health first.
I realize that my next guide dog won't be the same as Odie, so really need to be prepared upon avoiding doing the dog comparison thing.
I did that three times in a row and for the fourth time, I can not allow that to happen.
Regardless, my next successor partner will have a special place in my heart too.
On a positive note though, Doctor Long is offering his support to me and asked what he and my counselor Doctor Lowdermilk could do anything else to help me out during this struggle.
I am sticking with my original plan, continuing to work on not allowig my emotions to get the best of me which would trigger a seizure right on the spot.
Monday's event hit me hard.
Despite that I tried to remain calm, Odie on the other hand became really worried, started to stress and panic a little bit.
When we left from our friend Amanda Dreher and her hearing dog Louie's home, I felt a lot of pain on the left side of my head, but tried to stay calm anyway.
Odie and I made it up to Federal Boulevard and Belview and I turned left to cross over Federal first.
When it was our turn to go, two vehicles blocked the island where the trafic signal button was.
Odie had no choice but to slightly swurve towardthe the middle of Belview and then, he quickly pulled me out of the street.
Luckily, motorists saw what was happening and immediately did yield to do a four-way stop and no honking did occur either.
In Odie's mind, he felt that if I were to start seizuring, he would rather me go down on the sidewalk and not out in the middle of a busy intersection.
Once I did get home, I took some prescribed motrine and the pain went away two or three hours later.
By then, Odie really calmed down and relaxed.
Despite all of what's been happening to me, all I can do to help myself is don't give up and keep trying, going with the flow.
*Smiles*
I do hope that once I get this seizure disorder problem under control again and better, I look forward to training with another guide dog again.
Bibi, husband Dale and the stubron son Odie