[nagdu] Thinking of getting a guide dog

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 03:26:13 UTC 2012

Mike,

Welcome to our list. This list is exactly for guide dogs, those who are interested in getting one, those who have applied for guides, thosewho have guides currently, those who have retired guides and for those pup raisers. We have all sorts of peope from all walks of life on the list, so ask away.

Just introduce myself, I'm Marsha. Inbetween pups at the moment. I was working my GSD, Emma who was 6plus years old, but was retired because of health and stress issues. I'll be going into class possibly in September. My husband and I live in Philly PA. I'm a full time student at Temple University. Lastly I am the moderator of the list, so if you need anything please don't hestiate to email me off list at: marsha.drenth at gmail.com

As far as curbs, once you approach the curb, your dog will stop. From there its up to you to find with your foot, why you have stopped. If you have come to an up curb or step, the dog will put its front paws on the first step, from the harness angel you can tell that the pup is going up. This all takes trust, and can be scary for a first time guide dog user. Its somethign all handlers go through at first, but over time you will learn to be in sync with the dog.

As far as the other pet dogs, you can have pet dogs and a guide. When you apply to a school they will ask you if there are other pets in the home. Not all dogs get along with other pets, but the school will try to match you up with a guide who can tolerate other pets. In your home your guide will be just like any other dog. In harness that is when it works.

HTH

Marsha drenthSent from my iPhone