[nagdu] Thinking of getting a guide dog

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Sat Aug 18 04:13:35 UTC 2012

Hi Matt,

Fantastic, and please stick around and ask all the hard questions you like. I remember this part very well myself.

First, who on earth told you that you shouldn't have a guide dog if you already have pet dogs? This is absolutely not true, not true at all. Mind you, you probably don't want to have a new pet *and* a new guide at the same time, lots of changes all at once you know, but otherwise, not a problem. I introduced my current guide, Leno, when we had a nearly three-year-old terrier and a cat. No problem. My retired guide came back to live with us this past April, about a year and a half after Leno came, and still no problem. When I got Chet, we had my previous retired guide Karl in the house, plus three cats, and again, no issue at all. You'll likely have one class lecture on going home, which is likely to include a section about introducing your new guide to existing pets.

As for edges and steps. Seems elementary to us, but it's a good one. I myself didn't know how you were supposed to coordinate six legs and two brains, but that got worked out. Anyway, at an up or down curb or step, the dog will stop, right near the edge. You then step one foot forward (don't worry, you're not so close as to fall off the step), and with your toe, you can detect that there's a step or curb, and whether up or down. in truth, your dog will stop for only one of a few reasons:

1) There's a step or curb.

2) There's an obstacle, and he hasn't really decided the best way to get around it. Maybe it's blocking the sidewalk. And he wants guidance, or to alert you to its presence.

3) He's distracted by a squirrel, cat, rabbit, other dog, fire hydrant, planter, interesting smell, or what have you. Usually, though not always, you can tell this last one. (This was one of my first questions when investigating this thing myself--how do you know the difference between an alert and your dog screwing around/distracted/whatever. Answer: you eventually learn your dog's movements, body language, how distraction feels through the harness handle, what a distracted stop feels like versus an obstacle stop, and it really is different from one dog to another.)
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY