[nagdu] SOme more questions/ Thinking of getting a guide dog

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 01:37:27 UTC 2012

Matt,

Well Buddy pretty much covered for ownership and training lengths. As far as the costs, and someone can correct me if need be. I think the only school that requires a fee is The Seeing Eye. All of the other schools are funded by donors. So your travel to and from a school is free, your room, board and food are free, and the pup, all of its training, while at schol are free. Some of the schools have funds that will help with vet costs after training. There is a huge debate between guide dog handlers and schools, on the ownership front.Some schools give ownership, others do not. We do not understand why they don't and have been working to fix that. Some people don't want to won their pup, others absolutely must. Sorry, I got off topic. Unless you hire a private dog trainer, there are not any expenses, for the exception of Seeing Eye. Seeing Eye asks for $150, and they will allow you to pay it off you have to. Its set up that to help an handler feel like they are doing something to pay for the pup, not as if they are like giving it to you. Even the equipment you recieve at the school is free, and typically a school will send you with the basics. Like bowl, brush, comb, gentle leader, booties, doggie blanket for the floor. And of course harness and leash.

If what I have said is not clear, as for clarification.

Marsha drenthSent from my iPhone