[nagdu] question about chest pad

avapup.7 at gmail.com avapup.7 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 01:32:04 UTC 2012

Although Cocoa is an owner-trained guide, we did have a few sessions with an ADI-accredited school service dog trainer who helped me with some of Cocoa's basic dog training and some hearing dog training.

I still remember the trainer's reaction upon meeting Cocoa. "Cocoa cannot even FEEL that collar around her neck," was one memorable quote about a chain collar. And it was absolutely true.

So, first we tried the gentle leader. Unless a dog can guide while doing somersaults, the gentle leader didn't work. Cocoa couldn't get used to the face strap. So, our trainer taught me how to correctly fit and use a prong collar, as well as the rationale behind it. Contrary to one of its names, the prong collar doesn't pinch at all. The prongs are dull ( on the quality collars and they should be dull -- I have felt some prong collars in pet shops that are sharp. They shouldn't be!! ) not sharp. I've tested it on my own arm and neck. Even on my more delicate human skin, the light corrections I was taught to give didn't hurt a bit - not even close.

But Cocoa could FEEL the prong collar, and as someone who has nothing against collar corrections ( if reasonable of course ), it was absolutely critical to our partnership that Cocoa - a very strong-willed, strong-necked Lab who could probably have pulled me for a mile on a flat collar - be able to be distracted from distractions like squirrels, birds, and who knows what else. Light tugs on the leash while she wears the prong collar work beautifully.

She doesn't always need it now, but if it's been a while since we've worked, or it's a high distraction place, I either bring or put the prong collar on her for security. I've never had a dog who pulls as hard as Cocoa, whether pet or working dog.

And, she's a beautiful guide; she loves having  job to do out of the house, and she loves her hearing dog work at home. She just is very strong-willed, and if I'm totally honest, she's just too high energy for me. Not that I'd trade her for the world!!!! But I am about 75% sure my next dog will be school or program trained if they'll accept me -- I'll let them make a match for me!! I get so anxious sometimes just because Cocoa is so hyper. It's just her, and I love her; but I should have known her energy level would be high based on her field Lab sire and very hyper dam. One benefit of this though is that she likes to walk fast, as do I.

Anyway, I'm writing this because I was one of those people who was horrified at using prongs on my dog. But once I learned how to use the collar correctly, and that it didn't hurt my girl, I no longer had such reservations. I think in the wrong hands, it could be a very bad tool. But used right, it's very helpful, especially if your dog won't tolerate a gentle leader, at least in my opinion.

Just so everyone knows, though, when we are working regularly, I am able to use a flat buckle collar on Cocoa without a problem. But after a long time not working, as well as after my mastectomy, the prong collar allowed us to work and communicate so much better. That said, a chest pad would make me nervous, probably just because it's something unknown to me. If Pilot uses it, and so many endorse it, it can't be all bad! *smiles*.

Ava and Cocoa ( who is deceivingly slender compared to her strength! She's a freight train!!! )

Sent from my iPhone