[nagdu] my power chair comes Wednesday, what will Odie think???

Karyn & Thane bcpaws4me at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 23:06:16 UTC 2012

I'm new on this list (but not in the guide dog community) My name is Karyn
(working with Thane) I am a deafblind incomplete quad powerchair user. I'm
not sure if this is what you were looking for, but if so hope this is
helpful.
Some things to think about. I'm not sure if Odie is a program or OT guide
dog but I'm presenting what I think will help you to address to make this a
smoother transition.
- Make sure you are comfortable with the settings and your control of the
chair first. This can be done using a guide cane or sighted guide.
-I'd highly recommend gingo out with Odie using a guide cane to just
practice turns right and left once you are comfortable with the control of
the chair. This takes some pressure off of him and he can focus on just
learning to walk with the chair before expecting him to do his full job of
guiding you. It will make the transition a lot simpler.
- If you have been working Odie ambulatory, you'll need to figure out the
best placement for him to avoid being hit by the drive wheel, while at the
same time allowing him to be in a place where there is enough clearance so
that he can easily guide you around obstacles
- rear wheel drive is easier for guide dog placement, but with center wheel
drive a much more forward placement may be required and thus a longer guide
handle (especially if you also have a longer dog like I do)
-you may need an offset handle, as well as added fasteners for a bit of
flexibility for making turns and making smoother transitions with obstacles
and close quarter turns

Karyn and Thane