[nagdu] Thinking of getting a guide dog

Jessica cloudedleopard2010 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 22:55:00 UTC 2012

Matt,
You have already brought up some good points. I have also seen some very
good answers from other listers. I will try not to duplicate them. First as
long as the school knows you have other animals this will not be a problem.
Most guides are well suited to adjust to many situations including sharing
their home with other pets. However, it is important that once you bring the
dog home you introduce all four legged soon to be housemates in a neutral
environment such as outside nipping any possible territorial issues in the
bud. As for having pet dogs and being a dog person they are not necessarily
exclusive. Having a dog that is a guide first involves a different frame of
mind then that of having a pet. You have to be ready to be ferm in your
dealings with the dog no wishy washy behavior. When you give a command the
dog should perform it promptly. Also, dealing with a guide in public can
also be a new and ongoing task. As adorable and social as most of these dogs
are they are working first and for most. Most people choose not to have
their dogs petted in harness (less of a distraction) if you decide to allow
your dog to be petted in harness then make sure you differentiate work/ from
play time. As for curbs/stairs you will learn how to command the dog to find
these things and he/she will stop at them to indicate a curb or flight of
stairs is coming up. I can't speak to having a guide with a child in the
home but I am sure other list members can comment on this part of your life.
I know it can work for some and not others that is something else you should
let your chosen school know about.
All the best to you in this venture.
Jessica and Mattie

Jessica Snyder