[nagdu] High School students and Guide Dogs...

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 20:31:36 UTC 2012

I think I had the kind of attitude expressed in Lyn's message before, but as I have read your message, Julie, I think I see it a lot differently. First of all, how do you really decide who is mature enough to have a dog. Some people 50 years old aren't mature enough to have a dog.

Second, many people do not learn that they have to stand up to the pressures that their friends inflict upon them when they have their new dog, or even comprehend them themselves. This would be true in any age group.

Third, we are all subjected to people insisting we are being cruel to our dogs and berating us because we are correcting. Some adults can't handle it; some teens can't handle it, but if you are a teen, you have the added stress of being a teen. If I tell someone that it is OK for me to give these corrections, which are disciplining the dog, keeping his training crisp, that I'm not hurting the dog, folks will hear me out and may or may not respect what I'm saying, but if I'm a teen, the chances are greater that they will regard me as insubordinate, don't know what I'm talking about, or am being disrespectful no matter how nice I am. So I can see that the real struggle for those who are teenagers who choose to train with a dog is a general lack of respect and trust of young people. For any of us to decide to train with a dog is a major decision and should be  made well. We may not all make it well, but the fact remains that it is. I think about everyone I've known who trained with a dog as a teenager has been successful. Age is just a marker, and I suspect in the driving, and in some cases the training with dogs, such a marker needs to be imposed, but I think that the general rule of thumb that someone sixteen is not mature enough to have a dog, drive a car, whatever, is really not part of the argument. We aren't magically mature when we become 18 or 21.

JMO.

CL