[nagdu] The Guide Dog School of Sweden

Nadja Öberg starwalnut at yahoo.fr
Wed Aug 29 13:15:50 UTC 2012

BS"D

Dear NAGDU,

Thank you for your warm welcomes!

Cindy,

You didn't insult me; I'm very bad at geography. <3 We learnt a little bit about the geography of the United States in the fifth and sixth grades if I remember correctly and I don't remember much. *LOL*

Larry,

*LOL* I would love to visit you in the United States. It isn't bad here but we're behind you in our thinking and especially when it comes to access for guide dog teams at public places. It's really frustrating.

I've written a little bit about the Guide Dog School of Sweden here: http://nadjaoberg.com/archives/218 My English isn't perfect.

I can summarise it. The Guide Dog School of Sweden is owned by the Swedish Association of the Visually Impaired and is an authority. They don't train the dogs anymore but buy 40 guide dogs from four guide dog schools/producers every year. We're about 300 guide dog teams in Sweden and we've got a disposal right to our dogs. Our dogs are trained by the old-school methods, no clicker training and Gentle Leaders here.

If you're a new guide dog owner you're getting allotted a guide dog after an Introduction course where you're testing different types of guide dogs. You've an instructor who's with you during the four days and the school's counsellors are watching you too, how you're with the dogs and with the other students, and the surroundings. After the course, you're getting "the call" where you get information about your dog and when you'll go to class.

For new owners, it's one week away and one week at home and for old owners it's one week at home if I don't remember incorrect. The training at class is focussed at getting to know your dog and our training was located in the country and we only had one afternoon in the town. We've one home visit after six to nine months and after that we get help when we need it from our support team. The owners don't pay the veterinary care and our dogs are paid by the Swedish government.

I don't know what I'll write more. If you've some questions, please ask.

LeSholom,
Nadja from Sweden

Page web : http://www.nadjaoberg.com