[nagdu] a little help calming me down please

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 1 07:08:55 UTC 2012

Hi, Daniel,
This is Bibi with Odie here in Denver, Colorado.
Firstly, congrads on your acceptance to GDB for your successor dog.
Secondly, all what you are feeling is something normal to go through.
I've experienced all of that and have been through it.
The best that you can do for yourself is to do some breathing practice exercises.
It's where you take your hands and lie them softly upon your chest and work on slowing down your breathing.
Do this for five to ten minutes as I've found it helps me out lots.
If you can, speak with a GDB staff member to help you get through your training with your next dog so it willl be a rememberable experience.
They do have staff they can also help you through the grievance of a dog that didn't work out or one that past on.
Each and every one of my guides were all male black labs: one from GDB and the other two from Pilot Dogs.
All three of my dogs have taught me something valuable and I've learned from them, especially Odie.
Although Orleans and freedom David Berry didn't work out for me and Odie Harley Davidson did, he was the one who I worked with the longest: five and a half years.
Odie retired around age seven due to degenerative disc disease in his lower back end.
He became depressed for a while, so Dale and I made the decision to put him back in service, but in another field of work that wouldn't require him having to wear and pull in a guide dog harness.
He's saved Dale's life medicall three times since my husband has congenitel heart failure and lets me know when an appending seizure may happen.
Thirdly: Take your time getting to know your next dog daily and each day, increase that partnership.
Advice I can offer is to also listen to your dog's feelings and there's nothing wrong with talking to him/her.
I've found that to be the best for Odie and I as it helps me calm down very much.
Yes, frustration can occur during training, but most important is to not allow that to get to you.
When I have had to, I'd stop and pull off to the side to have my dog sit and I take in deep breaths to relax.
When you and your new four-legged furry partner come home, that new doorway opens for the two of you.
Yes, there is a field rep for GDB who oversees all of of GDB's graduates.
I'm looking into going for my fourth successor dog, but when that time is right.
I still have some O&M brush up I need to work on, especially now that I use my power chair over seventy-five percent of the time.
Lastly, enjoy meeting your new partner and definitely learn a lot, especially during the two weeks class.
I did a two weeks class at Pilot with Odie.
There were times it was great and other times, I just felt like I wanted to pack up and go home, mainly because Odie decided to be a brat during class.
Still, he ended up being the match that went further beyond the duty of being a guide dog.
Odie is like taking care of a kid as he likes to do doggy things which he shouldn't, but best part of all, my husband Dale and I love him, charish each moment and day upon making sure our four-legged furry son is an important member of the family.
If you still need to talk, feel free to email me privately off list at:
orleans24 at comcast.net
and I'll do my best to listen.
Take care, happy safe trails and best wishes from:
Bibi, husband Dale and son Odie
my retired Pilot Dogs guide dog
and now a medical alert service dog
the happy spirited bounty labrawolf