[nagdu] People food

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Dec 5 16:57:08 UTC 2012

Hi Mary.
I used to give my dogs ice cream as a treat.  I got out of the habbit,
because Echo seemed dairy intolerant.  I remember once, when we were on
vacation, we went to Baskin Robins after dinner, delaying Amba's dinner.
We got ourselves ice cream, and a small vanilla cone for Amba.  On our way
back to the car, Amba sat down in the parking lot.  It was pretty plain
she was going on strike.  "If you're messing about delaying my supper,
then I want my ice cream, and I want it now!"

Ben gets lots of tastes of people food. If I'm eating fruit, except
grapes, he gets a bite.  He gets to lick my yogurt cup when I'm done. If
I'm eating Cheezits, he gets one.  I figure fruit and yogurt are good for
him.  Cheezits not so much, but Echo got one, so he does, too.
I'm trying to figure out how the eventual New Dog will not keep adding
treats just because Ben gets them.
I have very specific rules for when Ben gets these treats.  He knows them,
and, when the time is right, he goes to the right place and gets his
treat.  It doesn't make him scrounge for food when he's working, because
we have rules.
Tracy