[nagdu] Ultrasonic mobility devices

Toni Whaley blind_treasurer at verizon.net
Fri Dec 7 14:56:13 UTC 2012

Hello,

I found the miniguide on the American Printing House for the Blind's
website. It is listed at $545, different from the $346 Tracy reports from
the Sendero site. I have a friend who uses it. It is held in the hand. It is
used to find objects and pathways. Relevant to what Tracy said about waving
your hands around to find things is when you are using this device to find
something you have to "wave" the device in a smaller arc than we use when
waving our hands or using a cane. If you move the device in too wide of an
arc, you're likely to miss the thing you're looking for. It vibrates or
chirps faster the closer you get to the object. While I think the item could
be useful   , I'm not interested in using it because that means I've tied up
another hand. (I personally think if God saw it fit to make us blind, the
least he could have done was give us a third hand. Smile!!).

Toni