[nagdu] guide dog question

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Dec 10 19:14:31 UTC 2012

Jessica,

I have the book on T-Touch and have used the technique with my current
two dogs.  They really enjoy it.  I can't think of any possible reason
why a person would object to T-Touch.  It's just a distinct way of
touching or massaging the dog.   There aren't any side effects, other
than being relaxed.  Some of the schools teach some of the T-Touch
techniques.  Attending a T-Touch workshop is on my things to do someday
list.  You are so lucky to have had a private session!

As far as your collar question...that is a very personal choice.  It is
possible to work a guide in a flat collar.  I know of several people who
do.  However if you should is an entirely different issue.  I think you
have to figure out what your personal philosophy of dog handling is.
Then figure out if you have the skills and ability to work your dog
within that belief system.   I believe that each dog and each handler
have a unique way of interacting that is best for that particular team.
The same dog with a different handler and a different set of techniques
might work better.  Same thing with a different dog and the same handler
needing to figure out what works best.

Julie