[nagdu] Meghan Whalen: Attack on service dog points to need for responsibility

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 00:16:29 UTC 2012

Meghan Whalen: Attack on service dog points to need for responsibility

Source:
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/opinion/mailbag/meghan-whalen-attack-on-ser
vice-dog-points-to-need-for/article_1c086292-4653-11e2-ada6-0019bb2963f4.htm

I originally moved here to go to school, and I stayed because I fell in love
with the city. The vast majority of Madison residents are open-minded and

respectful.

I am blind, and it was a breath of fresh air to find a lack of people who
judged me based on my blindness or wanted to pet or otherwise interact with
my guide dog.

But a serious issue came up recently. I was walking with my guide dog, and
an aggressive dog came out of its yard and attacked my dog. It was 30
seconds of terror for me as I tried to give my dog enough room to defend
himself or get away. I couldn't let him go, because I was on a busy street.
As a result of the attack, he has some bruising and swelling and one small
puncture wound.

The physical trauma is upsetting enough, but my bigger concern is the
psychological trauma for my dog and myself. He is already showing signs of
being fearful of other dogs. He growls when he hears another dog bark, and
he is very jumpy. I am reluctant to work him for fear of how he may react if
we come across another dog on our walks.

I hope that those who share their lives with dogs will do all they can to be
responsible. A few seconds of bad judgment may have cost my partner and
companion his career. He is not yet three years old, and we should have many
years ahead of us.

- Meghan Whalen, Madison