[nagdu] Hi there

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Dec 19 13:39:10 UTC 2012

Monty is a Boxer and Lab mix.  Belle is a lab and who knows what mix.
Tia was a Coonhound.  All have had their strengths and weaknesses.  I
have never seen a dog so aware of overhead obstacles as Miss Tia.  I
guess being bred to run raccoons up a tree caused her to be more aware
of the concept of up.  I wouldn't choose another Coonhound though.
Mostly I trained her because she was there and I wanted to see if I
could do it.

My next dog will most likely be a Doberman, which is actually the breed
I have been looking for from the beginning.  I've been saving up and I
think I can find one this time.  a Boxer is also a consideration, but
I'm not finding a breeder in the Midwest that I'm satisfied with.  I'm
still looking though.

Previously my dogs have come from shelters.  this time I'm strongly
leaning toward going with a breeder, a young puppy and I'm having a
private trainer raise the puppy and do the initial guide training.
After a lot of soul searching and changing my mind two dozen times I
have decided to go the route of private trainer.  I simply do not have
the time or energy to train another guide dog, but I'm not 100%
comfortable with the offerings of any of the available programs.  I'm
very excited about this arrangement because I don't have to put in the
time and effort, but I still get to choose all the important things to
me throughout the process.

As of right now the puppy will be born sometime in the spring.  He will
go to the trainer in the summer, where he will stay for somewhere in the
neighborhood of 18 to 24 months.  then probably I'll travel there to
spend a week or so with the dog and trainer learning what I need to know
before I bring the dog home.  If all goes well I'll have my next dog in
a little over two years.  Monty will be about 7.5 then, which might be a
bit young for him to retire.  However I'm not sure exactly when he'll
start slowing down or showing signs of age related health issues, so I'm
planning the best I can and will probably alternate between the two dogs
to make the transition easier for both.

And that is more than you asked, but there you go!
Julie