[nagdu] new reader

Eve Sanchez celticyaya at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 16:05:27 UTC 2012

Hi all. I am new to the list and have been reading some of the posts with
interest. I am also fairly new to being a guide dog user as it sounds like
many others are. I received my first dog, a German Shepherd, last summer at
Pilot Dogs. The members of my class (we called ourselves the Helen Kellers
as we obviously could not see and it seemed as none of us could hear
either, probably due to our constant laughter) are all very close to this
day. Everyone has found great success with their dogs and we were all
newbys except for one 35 year alumni. Everyone except myself that is. I
tried so hard to make things work with my dog, but was unsuccessful and
finally had to give it up as she kept getting so distracted by dogs she was
endangering me. She also became aggressive towards some dogs (don't know
how she decided who was play worthy and who would make a good meal). Well,
she went back and I was in the final class of the year to get my new dog.
When I met her, a golden retriever named Taylor, I felt an immediate
connection that I never felt with the other dog. We are home now and have
taken many walks (something I was never able to do with other dog) and find
she is absolutely the perfect dog for me. My daughter even says she looks
like me but I don't know about that. haha   Why I am telling you all this
is that a couple of people have expressed discouragement with getting dogs
and others have said how it needs to be the right fit. It is not the
school. It is the fit. When it works, it works wonderfully. I am still new
at all of this compared to most and look forward to learning from all of
you and sharing experiences. Thanks to whoever came up with this forum. Oh,
and about myself... I live in Northern Arizona with my family and two other
dogs and three cats. Would love to hear about people's experiences and
thoughts of having a dog guide in a home with other animals. Blessed Be.
Eve Sanchez