[nagdu] Removing Harness and Leash for SecurityRe:flyingwithPrincess for the first time

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 2 17:23:13 UTC 2012

Hi

I can't recall if my school really gave me any instructions about gong through the gates. I was the only one who was flying home from class. Maybe a weakness in their program. However, I had asked the question here so had some good thoughts.

Bogart and I travel a lot. I think in the 18 months we've been together he has flown about 9 times. For security, I get him right up to the entrance to the scanner, get him to sit, tell him to stay, let go of the leash and walk through  . Once through, and travelling alot I make sure I don't beep, I call him to me. He makes the alarms go off and they usually do a visual inspection of him and look in his harness pouch. He used to come running through but now he is more secure in himself and just sits there until I pull out the treat to entice him. Last time was funny though cuz the treats were in my coat that was going through the xray machine. One of the security people brought my coat over so I could give him a treat. What a monster eh? I'll be sure to have better treats in my pocket. Another good option is to get a nylon leashto use for travelling. This way you could still hold the leash but it wouldn't set off the alarms.

Mostly, it depends on your dog I think. I could go through with him but then I'd have to get patted down and all that. Often I'm in a  a bit of a hurry since I'm one of those frequent travellers who hates to be at the airport too early. :)

Gary