[nagdu] flying with Princess for the first time

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 2 22:45:07 UTC 2012

Hi:

With regards to feeding and water for the dog it really depends on how long the flight is. For example, my last couple of flights were only about an hour long. So I didn't really worry about food/water and just get bogart to do his business before we leave for the airport.

If we are flying longer flights, like the 4 or 5 hour flights to eastern canada, then I take food away about 8 hours and water at about 4 hours. Bogart has access to his food pretty much all the time because he just doesn't eat at fixed times and I gave up worrying about it. He seems to do well with this and isn't even usually in a hurry to elieve himself until we get to the hotel. Obviously, before going to my room I get directions from the clerk of a grassy place. The last hotel I was at in Ottawa, the clerk actually went out with me to show me where the grassy knoll was. :)

If you are going on a long flight and want to be sure your dog does number two finding a place for  them to run is usually a for sure thing. Normally I don't take Bogart to the off leash park until he has done his business but in this case I will find someone else at the park and just  ask them to tell me when and where Bogart does his thing so I can pick it up. It usually works out.

My next flight will be a 5 hour flight with a 2 hour lay over and then a 40 minute flight. I will find water and give food on the lay over most likely. Most likely he won't take any of it but  he can't report me to the SPCA as long as I offer. <chuckle> Maybe this will be an opportunity to see about getting assistance to find a place to relieve him. WE'll see.

Gary