[nagdu] Accurate Information from the TSARe: GDB and Airports Re: Removing Harness and LeashforSecurityRe:flyingwithPrincess for the first time

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Fri Feb 3 22:43:53 UTC 2012

Bobby,

With respect, whether or not your dog is wearing any specific working equipment has absolutely no bearing on who bears what responsibility for said dog being out of control and injuring someone. Working equipment does not a working service dog make. The key thing here is that a dog must have specific task training. Such training is what makes the dog a service dog. Regardless of this status, if a service dog, no matter how well trained, somehow is out of control and bites someone, guess who's responsible? Remember, our rights to be accompanied by a service dog are not absolute. I think Marion's information here is accurate, and the arguments about whether or what equipment the dog should be wearing are not relevant to the issue. Having said that, no, a dog's working equipment cannot be removed by screening staff, but doing so is at the discretion of the handler. Regardless, the actions of our dogs are at all times our responsibility, working equipment or not.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY